Saturday, February 24, 2007

Divination & the Bible

For a lot of people who love to use the tarot it is something they must keep secret from the people that are close to them. Why you ask. Well most people have the wrong idea about tarot. Most of the negative view of the tarot comes from religious people (The Christians mostly) they think Tarot is something evil and from the devil. They say that it is an abomination to the Lord. So I felt like writing about this subject and I apologize if this post is to religious lol this can be a touchy subject and I have strong beliefs.

If you looked into the Bible you will find many contradictions. In The bible divination was used wildly. Dream interpretations, Astrology, ect where used. The only people that really did dream interpretations where the Israelites, they are the ones that brought the practice of dream interpretation to Egypt and Babylon. There is a quote from the bible that talks about dreams and visions. "Saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams...." Acts 2:17 In Egypt the bible speaks that the Pharaoh had two disturbing dreams.” First, he sees seven fat, healthy cows come up out of the Nile and they are eaten up by seven lean; sickly cows. After the lean cows have consumed the seven healthy cows, they are no fatter or healthier than they were before.” Upon awakening, he calls for all the wise men and magicians of Egypt, but no one could interpret the dream. Pharaoh's chief butler then remembered Joseph, who correctly interpreted the butler's and baker's dreams in prison, and Joseph is taken from prison, cleaned up, and brought before Pharaoh. Joseph interprets Pharaoh's dream to mean that the next seven prosperous years will be followed by seven lean years, but he does not stop there. Joseph adds that Pharaoh should appoint an administrator to save grain from the prosperous years so that there will be food in Egypt during the famine to come. The Pharaoh hires Joseph to be his advisor. An Important thing about this is that Joseph always gives credit to god.

But what cause people to shift their minds to the side that divination is an evil thing? I have my theories, but let’s look at an article I found online. The Dangers of Divination by Pastor Bob DeWaay. He writes “The Bible forbids divination because it involves lusting for secret knowledge that God has not chosen to reveal….. This desire for forbidden knowledge has its roots in man’s first sin……What is forbidden is secret information, not available through ordinary means of learning and not revealed by God.” My argument to these statements is that “The Secret Knowledge” Is not secret; God does not keep secrets he only waits to tell us or until we ask of him the answers. Remember the little saying “Ask and thall shall receive” Another quotation from the Bible he uses also is "There shall not be found among you anyone that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.” “It works because of the operation of evil spirits. Evil spirits are willing to give out some factual information as long as it serves their purpose of telling a bigger lie. People get sucked into the occult because of the accuracy of the secret information they gain.” There are bad and good energies/sprits whatever you want to call it. All you have to do is protect yourself from the negative forces and fill yourself with positive white light and you won’t have a problem. I ask God for answers to the readings I do, If God wants me to know he will tell me and if not then the reading will not answer the question.

Most readers don’t divine with the tarot so much as you would think. We give predictions to events that may happen base on past patterns. What we do is not so different from weather reports. They look at how the weather is now and what it might look like in the future. They don’t Say IT WILL rain they say there will be a chance of rain. We do the same. Another big belief among readers is that the future is not already written out, but can be shifted and changed as you go along, just some important things will happen no matter what.

The claim that Tarot is evil is foolish; anything in this world can be evil or good. Fire for example; it’s a very powerful element of this world. We can use it in goods ways like cooking food and keeping us warm. Or we can use it to burn someone’s house down. If you are a woman who is angry with their Ex then you might just light their car on fire. Tarot is the same. You can use it to help others figure out solutions to problems or go and “spy” and people through readings. Now that is not “evil” just unethical.

I would like to now go into my own theory about the church and divination. We need to go back many years to the time where the Church had political power. The church was the center of the people’s world. When you had a problem you went to the church for advice and guidance. Now the church liked this cause they had power over the people to do what they wanted. Now what happens if a psychic or back in those days a Soothsayer came into town and offered guidance for the people? People will go to that person for help and the church will lose power and most important money! Money was so important to them; don’t let me get into indulgence where you can pay off your sins or the sins of people who died so they can get out of purgatory and into heaven. I am not catholic so I don’t know a lot of the dogma I know that much. So what is the solution to this problem? Say that it is evil and the people will stop going to these people for help and come back to the church.

Did you know that the tarot (Rider Waite deck) is filled with tons of Christian Symbolism? Yes it is and is why the early Christians called it blasphemes because how they depicted the Pope in the card “The Hierophant”. What about “The Devil” Card??? Why is it there? That card is not there to represent him but to represent what he stands for, Materialism, Addictions, Ignorance and the distance away from God. That is a true Christian meaning to The Devil & Hell, a Place away from God his love and his light. Why is there no God Card? Well I covered that in an older post. But relay god is in all the cards. This lessons, teachings, Love and knowledge can be found. There is no true image of God so you can’t make a god card. There are many Christian themed decks as well.

I myself feel that tarot and divination is all fine with God. He wants us to know anything we ask, unless he does not then WE WILL NOT gets an answer from a reading. It has happened before, I would do a reading and ask god to please answer my question and I won’t get anything. Does it mean it does not work? No, God just does not want me to know yet for whatever reason.
I have some points to make. Tarot can be used for things other than Divination

1) Problem Solving and Self Development
2) Creative writing
3) Interpretations to Dreams
4) Meditation and Visualization
I will talk more about these in another post

In the end its all how you feel about it all. Most new readers have a conflicting feeling inside them over if it’s ok to read tarot. I know I felt it before….. But I know what I am doing is helping people grow and be better people, and that’s something God would want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent post!!! i completely agree with you on all the points you made. i recently went to get a reading about a relationship issue i was having and i was amazed at how helpful the reading turned out to be. I believe in god and they do make tarot readers seem like evil people, but i don't think its wise to make judgments on something without seeing it for your self. like you said, the intention behind what you do defines weather or not it can be considered wrong. everything the tarot reader did was nothing short of positive and helpful.

Anonymous said...

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

Jerome Lee Hickcox said...

Excellant blog/post. I am a graduate out of a Bible Institute and after reading your article, I find this is exactly what I do believe. Everytime I do a reading for people, I always pray for wisdom from on high. I keep God in my readings, and God always answers the questions that I do bring to him. I have done readings at Ren Fairs, and Psychic fairs, and I am never disappointed rather amazed. I have a theology degree from Liberty Bible Institute, and it has always been my position since my graduation that God undeniably works through the Tarot Cards, and any other Oracle tool. I give God credit, for all that he has shown me and I also am thankful for his wisdom which he has imparted to me in helping people who come to me for a reading.